Kayak Fishing : Fork 5/14/18

Report from Lake Fork…!

 

I had a good day on Fork, Monday. No big ones but more action than I've had in a while. Caught 7 in the two to three pound range on hollow belly swimbaits real shallow, two on 5 inch flutter spoon in 18 feet of water, and one on topwater. Spent the first three hours of the morning wondering if I would get skunked before finally trying it out deep and getting some action. I was just drifting around timber looking for bait and working it under them. Paddling back upwind and repeating.

Thought I might have done better if I'd stayed with it but it was a beating to fight the wind and have to constantly paddle back into position. Between paddling and getting spoon stuck and fighting waves to get it back with plug knocker it got old fast.. When I finally got hung up and couldn't get it back I was done with that kind of fishing as I only had the one with me. Forgot to put the ones I had just bought that morning at Joe Spaits Tackle Factory, in my kayak.
bang

Covered a lot of water fishing shallow back up Little Caney. Picked up a few scattered here and there but finally found an area with shad swimming around on the surface and caught a couple real quick and lost a bigger one. When I saw an alligator come swimming into the same cove... it was like a sign for me stay put. Didn't get a picture as it went to the other side of the cove when it saw me and I figured I would catch up with it later but it disappeared in the vegetation.

The key for me catching was to only fish around the shad when they came near to shoreline vegetation as it didn't seem like they were getting chased in the middle of the cove. There were three or four schools on top for hours. Wished now that I had stayed longer but kept thinking I should try deep again once the winds laid down later and fished the last two hours of light where I started the day.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2018/05/full-76913-214527-ivxfpis.jpg


http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2018/05/full-76913-214526-32asr1e.jpg

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2018/05/full-76913-214524-xdufude.jpg

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2018/05/full-76913-214525-mlnpaku.jpg

No complaints today and I'll be back there next Monday.

 

Retrieved from http://texasfishingforum.com/forums

 

Comments

Enter a keyword to search for archived posts.

Popular posts from this blog

TRDW Flyfest...

How Do We Clean and Cook Trout?

Over-Lining Our Fly Rods

Fly Fishing : Stripers below PK - Not Good!

Ukulele and Q&A and Near Deere Give Away!

Below the Dam at Texoma September 15, 2016

Denison Dam Tonight

Blue River for Switch Rod Casting Practice...! #switchrod #flyfishing

What is the Best Setup for a Beginner.... #flyfishing