First Trout On The Fly

Always good to see trout on the fly!

 

 

1960texan: First Trout On The Fly

I'm still new to fly fishing in general...I've caught plenty of sunfish and several bass on the fly, but until this morning have hooked but not landed any trout. I wanted to change that before the weather got hot enough to overly stress the fish, so I woke up early to hit the lower Guadalupe just below Canyon Lake Dam. River was flowing at 278 CFS and the water temperature was holding at 62 degrees.

It took a while to get that first strike and when it finally happened I was so surprised I tried to set the hook too late. That snapped me out of my daydream and a couple of casts later I was ready when this one hit the brown wooly bugger I was drifting:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2017/04/full-98676-159270-1st_trout_on_the_fly.png

It put up a nice fight, and after posing for a quick photo was released back into the Guadalupe.

I've learned a lot by paying attention to what others have shared on this forum. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Now I've got to figure out nymphing.

 

Retrieved from http://texasfishingforum.com/forums

 

 

Comments

Enter a keyword to search for archived posts.

Popular posts from this blog

TRDW Flyfest...

How Do We Clean and Cook Trout?

Over-Lining Our Fly Rods

Fly Fishing : Stripers below PK - Not Good!

Ukulele and Q&A and Near Deere Give Away!

Below the Dam at Texoma September 15, 2016

Denison Dam Tonight

Blue River for Switch Rod Casting Practice...! #switchrod #flyfishing

What is the Best Setup for a Beginner.... #flyfishing