Granger San Gabriel/Willis Creek

Latest on the creek…
fishytx: Re: Granger San Gabriel/Willis Creek
I got a little bored yesterday so I made trip to the steps. Arrived at 4:30 and fished to 6pm. Not to bad I guess, I caught 12. But here's the deal, they were 98% small fish. Maybe if I had stuck around till the sun went down I would have gotten onto a good bite, but I was frustrated in the fact that I couldn't catch something big enough to pull drag in the moving current, so I left. I had one that was about 12 inches, two that were barely keepers, but skinny, so I let them go as well as the bigger guy. Saw several fly rod anglers who were also on a bite, but they were hooking up with dinks as well. Water looks awesome, but we are on the tail end of the 2016 spawn, so there will be days where all you catch are smaller fish. There will also be days where a wave of the bigger fish will pass through on their way back to the lake. If you are there on that day, you will be in for a good day, but it is a hit or miss thing. From a few stories I heard while I was there, seems like there was a great bite on Saturday as a wave of fish passed through. I keep saying this is my last trip, but something about these guys keep drawing me back to try and have one more great day. There will be a few anglers who will hit it on a good day. Good luck to those who refuse to give up, hope you can limit out one more time.

Comments

Enter a keyword to search for archived posts.

Popular posts from this blog

Below the Dam at Texoma September 15, 2016

Fly Fishing : Stripers below PK - Not Good!

General Observations for Locating Fish in a River

Over-Lining Our Fly Rods

TPWD Answers Our Question about Shad!

Lake Somerville

Blue River Catch and Release Information | Questions and Answers | #fishing #flyfishing #blueriver

How Do We Clean and Cook Trout?

Is It Ethical To Fish On Spawning Beds?